Most of these statistics below were taken from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or one of their related websites. As always it’s best to take statistics with a grain of salt, as often numbers can be manipulated to prove someone’s point of view.
- Seven out of 10 sexual assault victims know their offenders.
- Young people between the ages of 12 and 24 are most often the victims of violent crime.
- A woman is attacked every three minutes.
- One burglary occurs every 12 seconds.
- Males are victimized at rates 22% higher than females.
- Males are more likely to be victimized by a stranger.
- In 26% of violent crimes a weapon was present.
- One assault occurs every 29 seconds.
- One rape occurs every five minutes.
- Offenders had weapons in 6% of rapes and 55% of robberies.
- 63% of murder victims are under 35 years of age.
- Workplace violence accounts for 18% of all violent crime.
- A murder occurs every 24 minutes.
- Women who fight back gain an 86% chance of avoiding a rape or injury.
- Women using knives or guns as self defense were raped less than 1% of the time.
- 65% of homicides are committed with guns.
- Other self defense statistics tell us that females are raped at a rate about eight times that of males.
Tags: five minutes, defense statistics, murder victims, grain of salt